Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Why do I paint

‘’Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures’’ ~Henry Ward Beecher




Why do I paint?


I remember one of my grandchildren asking me this one time. At the time I was a little offended as the question was actually,’’ Why to you just set around and paint all the time?’’ I knew in my heart that that question was being repeated from an adult. Recently I have been working on my artist statement and BIO. Everything I read says to tell why you paint, so that got me thinking about the reasons. Painting is a form of expression, how the artist sees the subject and how the artist feels about that subject. I paint what I love. Inspiration comes as an overwhelming feeling to express oneself about a subject, to put on paper or canvas, your most personal feelings about the subject. A writer will tell the story. A visual artist draws or paints the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment